Monday, November 3, 2008

survive the journey: The Cardiovascular Risks of Growth Hormone Deficient Adults

Robin posted this today and I found it especially timely:
survive the journey: The Cardiovascular Risks of Growth Hormone Deficient Adults: "I have growth hormone deficiency (GHD) and other pituitary hormone deficiencies due to a pituitary tumor. My surgery to remove the tumor did not help any, and when I had the Arginine GH stimulation test this past spring, I did not produce nearly enough GH. GH is pulsatile and needs stimulation in order to be tested correctly. IGF-1 is not a reliable marker of GH production."

Like Robin, I am also "panhypopituitary" due to my pituitary tumor. I also am growth hormone deficient. Unfortunately, due to the kidney cancer I had, I can no longer take growth hormone.

The news item she quoted is a bit disturbing to me. I don't want to think of possible cardiovascular risks of not getting my growth hormone injections any more. On the other hand, I don't want to, and cannot medically, take growth hormone at this time because of the cancer.

So, I guess my eventual choices will be to protect my heart or protect my kidney. Which will win?

Thanks, as always, Robin for the great article!

No comments:

Post a Comment