Monday, August 4, 2008

Depression

I feel it coming on, again. I'm not sure if this is a cyclical kind of thing, that I'd have it no matter what about now.

I think that the party on Saturday helped to trigger it, though. I never feel comfortable around others, especially people I don't know at all. I never know what to say and I have trouble answering questions. Other adults work, have important jobs. What do I do? I teach piano and have some websites. WooHoo. Practically everyone and her sister has a website now. That can't possibly be a job.

Sometimes my husband tells them about the Cushing's sites. But that's still not "work" surely.

I think all this adds up to me becoming depressed so often. I don't feel like I contribute to society, I don't have an important job, don't travel to exotic locations to be an expert witness, don't produce PowerPoint slides and Excel spreadsheets every day.

My life consists of a little piano teaching, some web stuff...and napping/sleeping. What kind of life is that?

I don't see it getting any better, either - I've been sick for 25 years, over half my life. The only thing that might have helped me (but didn't) was the growth hormone. Now, thanks to the kidney cancer, I can't take that, either.

I'm just taking up space here, killing time, wasting family money.

I sure hope this depression passes quickly this time. I just hate feeling like this so often.

2 comments:

  1. Mary,
    I hope it passes soon too because your perception of yourself is so not true. I can't even read music and yet you can teach someone to play the piano! I think that's great. And you do bells too.
    And you know what we on the Cushing's board think of you. You're our hero, where would we all be without the boards.
    But depression plays tricks with our mind and discounts things we know to be true.
    I hope things improve soon.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Mary....there would be so many of us (hundreds, thousands) still undiagnosed, dead or dieing if you did not do what you do. You are a heroine in my book. Love you bunches.

    Robin

    ReplyDelete