Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Why it might be a good idea to do your own medical research...

This is from a wonderful blog at http://addisonssupport.blogspot.com  I highlighted the last paragraph because I think it's wonderful and so true. I'm thinking I should make a counted cross-stitch of it or something!

 

My best friend always writes on her site - that you have to own your own body and it's so true.  You know if you're sick.  Don't let a doctor try to talk you out of it by saying that you're just over/underweight, depressed, tired... If you don't feel like YOU, take action!

 

I'm still reading Deep Survival, Who Lives, Who Dies and Why by Laurence Gonzales and came across the passage below.  It made me think we might be our own best researcher and advocate because doctors are supposed to be experts and we know so little.

We like to think that education and experience make us more competent, more capable.  But it seems that the opposite is sometimes true..."In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities," and Zen master Shunryu Suzuki.   "In the expert's mind there are few."

Don't hesitate to follow your instincts with regard to your health.  Research all possibilities no matter how obscure.  You deserve to feel well and you can be the driving factor in your treatment and wellness.

No comments:

Post a Comment