Sunday, October 5, 2008

It's Almost Endo Time Again

This Thursday I go back to Johns Hopkins for my annual post-Cushing's checkup.  I used to go twice a year when I was on growth hormone but thanks to the cancer I can't take GH anymore.

I hope to have the courage to ask my endo for a script for Provigil.  Dr. Dori mentioned it to me before an online interview and it sounds like something that would work for me. 

But I don't know, if I get the script, if my kidney surgeon would let me take it.  He's very protective of my one remaining kidney.  I still wonder, though.  If I took one pill, how much kidney "life" would I lose.  Would it be worthwhile to gain a day of wakefulness and energy to lose an hour of kidney time?

At this stage of my life, I think that the trade off would be worthwhile.  Of course, that's easy to say now.  I'd probably feel different if I were undergoing dialysis!

But my endo might not even prescribe it so this may all be a wasted argument, even with myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment