Saturday, July 11, 2009

VIDEO - HERSTORY: Joanne Shares When She Learned She Had A Metabolic Problem

VIDEO - HERSTORY: Joanne Shares When She Learned She Had A ...
By Joanne Sgro


The endocrinologist diagnosed me in my junior year in college with a pituitary disorder, but I think my parents were a little upset to tell me that there was an actual tumor on my pituitary gland because the word tumor has so many ...

I first realized I had a metabolic problem when I stopped getting my period and just kept on putting on a lot of weight in a short period of time. So, that prompted me to go see an endocrinologist. The endocrinologist diagnosed me in my junior year in college with a pituitary disorder, but I think my parents were a little upset to tell me that there was an actual tumor on my pituitary gland because the word tumor has so many negative connotations.

So, when I was on another visit with the endocrinologist she started saying the word tumor, tumor, and I said, “Do I have a tumor?” And they are like, “Yeah,” and I am like, “What am I going to do about it?” They said, “You just keep taking the medication. It’s benign; you’ll be fine.”

But, my endocrinologist told me I would never get below 200 pounds or around 200-220 pounds and I really… that was kind of my determination to prove her wrong. Great lady, but I really wanted to prove her wrong and say, “Hey, I can do this.”

After college, I worked overnights, which does a whole lot of stuff to your metabolism and I ended up gaining even more weight. I think I graduated at 270 pounds, but then two years later or several years later when I was 25 I had gotten up to 340 pounds, even by being on that medication. So the medication, while it helps the metabolic problem or your pituitary problem, it doesn’t exactly speed up your metabolism.

Watch Video


EmpowHer.com - Site Activity Feed - http://www.empowher.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment