Monday, July 20, 2009

Cushings Help is almost 9!

It's Our Birthday!

WooHooIt's unbelievable but the idea for Cushing's Help and Support arrived 9 years ago tonight. I was talking with my dear friend Alice, who runs a wonderful menopause site called Power Surge, wondering why there weren't many support groups online (OR off!) for Cushing's and I wondered if I could start one myself and we decided that I could.

The first website (http://www.cushings-help.com) first went "live" July 21, 2000 and the message boards September 30, 2000. Hopefully, with these sites, I'm going to make some helpful differences in someone else's life!

The message boards are very active and we have weekly online text chats, weekly live interviews, local meetings, email newsletters, a clothing exchange, a Cushing's Awareness Day Forum, podcasts, phone support and much more.

Whenever one of the members of the boards gets into NIH, I try to go to visit them there. Other board members participate in the "Cushie Helper" program where they support others with one-on-one support, doctor/hospital visits, transportation issues and more.

3 comments:

  1. Mary,
    I am so glad you conceived the idea of the Cushing's web site and message board. You have helped so many people. I shudder to think where our family would be today if I had never found the boards and all the support there. I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Judy. I'm sorry your family has been through so much but I'm glad that my site had a part in helping :)

    Hopefully, you're about done with medical stuff for a long while!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are AMAZING! Congrats on 9 years. You are a great advocate, and you helped me to learn how to be an advocate for myself. I'm still learning from you, everyday! Thank you. ~Darla

    (Cushing's pituitary surgery [MACROadenoma] 5/2/08
    - 300 lbs, down to 220 lbs, to date.)

    ReplyDelete