Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Day Seventeen, Cushing's Awareness Challenge

Way back when we first got married, my husband thought we might have a lot of kids.  He was from a family of 6 siblings, so that's what he was accustomed to.  I am on only child so I wasn't sure about having so many.

I needn't have worried.

In January, 1974 I had a miscarriage.  I was devastated. My father revealed that my mother had also had a miscarriage.  I had no idea.

At some point after this I tried fertility drugs.  Clomid and another drug.  One or both drugs made me very angry/depressed/bitchy (one dwarves I left off the image)  Little did I know that these meds were a waste of time.

Eventually,  I did get pregnant and my wonderful son, Michael was born.  It wasn't until he was seven that I was finally, actually diagnosed with Cushing's.

When I had my early Cushing's symptoms, I thought I was pregnant again but it was not to be.

I'll never forget the fall when he was in second grade.  He was leaving for school and I said good bye to him.  I knew I was going into NIH that day for at least 6 weeks and my future was very iffy.  He just turned and headed off with his friends...and I felt a little betrayed.

Michael wrote this paper on Cushing's when he was in the 7th grade. From the quality of the pages, he typed this on typing paper - no computers yet!

Click on each page to enlarge.

When Michael started having headache issues in middle school, I had him tested for Cushings.  I had no idea yet if it could be familial but I wasn't taking any chances.  It turned out that my father had also had some unnamed endocrine issues.  Hmmm...

I survived my time and surgery at NIH and Michael grew up to be a wonderful young man, if an only child.  :)

After I survived kidney cancer (see the post from April 12) Michael and I went zip-lining - a goal of mine after surviving that surgery.  This was taken in a treetop restaurant in Belize.

For the mathematically inclined, this is his blog.  Xor's Hammer.  I understand none of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment