Friday, March 18, 2011

Thinking about Kidney Cancer again...


This month is Kidney Cancer Awareness month so yesterday, for St. Patrick's day, I wore one of my kidney cancer awareness shirts with the image above.

I've been thinking a bit about my cancer lately because it seems to be tied up with Sue's death, at least in my mind. Five years ago this month she died from lung cancer. Five years ago next month, I found out I had kidney cancer.

I need to make an appointment with my endo (Dr. Salvatori). Since it will be 5 years, he says I can go back on growth hormone but I'll have to weigh that very carefully.

Did the GH help/contribute to my cancer in the first place? Did it even help me with my post-Cushing's issues? Would my kidney cancer surgeon even agree to let me take GH again? it might harm my remaining kidney.

When my kidney was removed, my left adrenal was, too, causing problems for my post-op Cushing's issues. Today, this news item came up in my Google Alerts - so I joined the http://urotoday.com website to read the whole article.
Routine adrenalectomy is unnecessary during surgery for large and/or upper...
UroToday
We evaluated the radiographic and pathological incidence of adrenal involvement in patients undergoing renal surgery for renal cell carcinoma 7 cm or greater. Patients who underwent renal surgery for tumors 7 cm or greater between 1999 and 2008 were...
I sure wish that they had known that back "in my day" and I still had that adrenal gland.

A day late for this signature but I'll use it anyway since the color works :)

No comments:

Post a Comment