Thursday, December 11, 2008

My Doctor is Killing Me: Even Oprah Needs an Advocate

My Doctor is Killing Me: Even Oprah Needs an Advocate:
"There is no doubt in my mind that medical professionals will now be inundated with women who are finally going to say, 'It's not my fork, it's my thyroid you need to test.' The first time I walked into an endocrinologist's office, I was expecting him to take one look at me and say, 'Oh, hormone issues, that's my specialty!' There were stories of a doctor in Los Angeles who could spot someone with Cushing's syndrome from across a crowded room. If you look up an endo's studies, you'll see thryoid, pancreas, adrenal gland, and hormones listed. If you talk to an endo, you'll hear, 'I don't think you have diabetes.' They seem to forget that they have more than one organ to study. Unfortunately, the patient has no say in this, and we are pushed out the door faster than you can say Nutrisystem."

1 comment: