Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Encouraging Cushies

Although these were written for people with fibromyalgia, these ideas would also work for someone with Cushing's.  8 Ways to Encourage a Chronically Ill Mom

I especially liked number 4:

Avoid telling her about the cures you’ve heard for her illness, the juice products you may sell that could help her, or about your mother’s cousin’s sister who has the same illness but still manages to raise five children and work full-time. Don’t comment that the diet she is on is harmful, that the medications are just a bunch of poison or say, “don’t you realize those doctors are just out to make money off of you?” She’s heard it all and if you can be her safe haven from that it will result in a deeper friendship.

I can’t remember how many suggestions I’ve had to fix my Cushing’s, my lack of energy, my fears of cancer recurrence.

I should take fish oil capsules, essential oils, selenium, antidepressants, SAM-e, join yet another gym, rejoin Weight Watchers, buy a Wii Fit…

Tried them all and none of it helps.

Read that article and send it to all your friends and relatives!  Her book, Beyond Casseroles: 505 Ways to Encourage a Chronically Ill Friend (Conquering the Confusions of Chronic Illness), is out of stock but I’m adding it to my wish list!

What ideas have people suggested to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment